Search For Jobs offers in Tanzania
The Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI), incorporated in 2000 as a
company limited by guarantee under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 212), became legally
constituted and operational in September 2001 with the major objective of rejuvenating the
Tanzania coffee industry to sustainable prosperity, placing new emphasis on stakeholder-led,
demand – driven RESEARCH FOR DEVELOPMENT.
TaCRI is now seeking to employ dynamic, committed, responsible and self motivated person
to fill the following vacant posts for an initial period of three years renewable based on
productivity/performance and continued need.
Extension Agronomists (2 posts)
Location: TaCRI, Maruku and Lyamungu sub-stations in Bukoba and Hai districts
Reports to: Zonal Programme Manager – TaCRI Maruku sub-station and Programme
The key function of the Extension Agronomist, as a member of TaCRI’s Result 4 Team, is
to support the rejuvenation of the coffee industry in the respective zone by promoting
and disseminating appropriate and financially viable proven technologies to farmers and
associated agencies; to facilitate two way linkages between researchers, district extension
staff and farmers by encouraging, for instance, the use of partiCipatory research techniques;
to support the development of nurseries producing new varieties for replanting program;
to develop and deliver training courses (training of trainers); to promote market awareness,
including an appreciation of cup quality.
o To support the development of the coffee industry by:
• Disseminating proven technologies to district extension staff, farmers and estates through
the provision of training courses for sustainable and profitable coffee production
• Identifying training needs and support TaCRI’s training centre as income generating centre
• Promoting relevant and appropriate extension messages for growing coffee as business
• Supporting the central research programme by facilitating on-farm and on-station research
• Supporting the development and up-grading of respective district, ward, farmer groups,
estates and other stakeholders’ clonal coffee nurseries
• Promoting market awareness including an appreciation of cup quality
• To test viable business models to produce coffee, i.e, horizontal/vertical diversification
• Monitoring the implementation of Result 4 activities in the respective zone
Agronomy and extension skills
Ideal candidate will need to have strong understanding of agronomic and extension principles
associated with production and marketing of good quality coffee or any other perennial crops.
Adapts readily to change and establishes organizational processes that fosters responsiveness,
readiness to change and work under diverse conditions.
Understanding and meeting the needs of internal and external customers; strong demand-led,
market oriented, and participatory process of technology development and dissemination.
Shows commitment to the teamwork and finds the best solutions by working positively
and cooperatively with others, good leadership, high standards of performance, a sense of
urgency, and mutual respect and integrity.
Qualification and Experience:
• Academic qualification: At least a BSc in Agriculture/Agronomy/Horticulture/Rural
development with proven records of achievement. Applicants with Masters Degree
will have an added advantage. Candidates must be computer literate with outstanding
• Work Experience:
Should have a minimum of THREE years work experience with relevance
in extension and/or agricultural research activities. Experience with the private sector and
hands-on participatory approach and especially working with coffee farmer groups/coffee
industry will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: TaCRI is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive and competitive
Mode of application:
• An application letter in your own handwriting or typed
• Fully typed Curriculum vitae
• Certified copies of relevant certificates
• Full postal address including telephone contact details and e-mail address if any
• Three contactable references
Deadline of application:
All applications must reach the Chief Executive Director through the address below (and not by email) within two weeks from first appearance of this advert in newspapers.
Chief Executive Director,
Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI),
P.O. Box 3004,
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Source: Mwananchi 2 January, 2018