Construction Manager – Musoma
Tracking Code 713-566
Construction Manager Responsible for design, implementation, monitoring, technical supervision and support of WASH activities on Water Sanitation and Hygiene in project schools and communities. Manage tender processes through PCI procurement system. Manage contractors from procurement through completion of their contracts. Conducting regular monitoring to assess progress of construction works against time elapse and resources. Work with PCI team on SWASH facilities construction needs assessment in participating schools/communities. In collaboration with stakeholders recommend SWASH facilities allocation to schools based on agreed criteria.
Construction manager Responsible for construction of latrines, clean-water systems including rainwater catchment tanks, boreholes and fuel efficient stoves. Responsible for facilitating community initiated renovations, updating or construction of libraries/library space, teachers’ latrines, classrooms and general buildings (especially in terms of advising on selection of designs and quality issues). Responsible for optimization of construction resources (materials, manpower, plants etc.) within acceptable timeframe. Responsible to manage construction contractors and prioritize their work. Responsible for any other construction/renovation works which may be undertaken by PCI.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Design WASH Strategy: In collaboration with the project team, design an effective strategy to implement cost-effective water, sanitation, and hygiene activities in project schools to achieve project objectives including the achievement of approved targets.
- Provide Technical Support: Provide technical assistance and refresher training to project staff to ensure clear understanding of implementation, monitoring, and supervision responsibilities as related to WASH.
- Construction: Design of all the structures, seek approval from related authorities and ensure compliance with legal requirements, building and safety codes, and other regulations. Prepare cost estimates, budgets, and work timetables and negotiate contracts; select appropriate construction methods and strategies; prepare and submit tender documentation to procurement.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with 5 years’ experience of work. Registered Professional Engineer by ERB (Engineers Registration Board) in; Design, Planning, Construction, Maintenance, Installation, Testing, Commissioning, project Management. Good operating knowledge of basic computer skills like- MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Email Correspondence, etc. Good operating knowledge of AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Structural Analysis Software or any drafting and design software. Willing to work odd hours as per the program needs. Honest, diligent, punctual and displaying a professional attitude at the workplace.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in WASH related works-health & hygiene, sanitation, drinking water & toilet construction. Experience in contracts management with local artisans and small to medium vendors and service providers. Experience working with government officials. Experience working in a multi-cultural environment, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Experience of construction of permanent/semi-permanent buildings will be given preference.
Musoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Position Type Full-Time/Regular