Requisition ID: req11590
Job Title: Education Technology Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC Tanzania is launching a School-based digital learning program where children will learn on child-friendly educational software installed in a tablet. This project is known as Autonomous Learning which is for Supplementary Education Tanzania (under Imagine). The primary objective and measure of success of the program is to provide remedial support to children in the early grades.
The IRC is seeking eligible and qualified person who will be based at Makere Kasulu Field Office and will be working closely in the Autonomous learning project and other duties within the IRC Education Program.
To overseeing the learning centres in both Refugee Camps and Host Communities, He/She will also oversee the smooth running of operations and supporting child-directed learning.
- Lead implementation of Autonomous Learning activities in the implementation sites.
- Provide technical support and training to facilitators and teachers using the Learning Centers
- Identify mobile technology-based solution for specific education needs in the location
- Preparing reports of activities undertaken in the Learning Centers and story collection for publication
- Working closely with Project Manager, head-teachers and teachers to ensure that the program implementation aligns with programme guideline and procedures
- With the support from the Manager, help facilitators in monitoring the programme, development and support in the effective use of online tools
- Provide on-the-job training to facilitators and teachers and support data collection and research visits
- Provide technical support to existing connectivity centers
Oversight of Centers Reporting.
- Ensure education activities are well coordinated with those of other IRC sectors and NGOs present in the camps and host communities, including community mobilization, referral systems, and creating awareness in an integrated manner.
- Support education activities in the host community, including teacher training and monitoring of activities.
- Prepare activity reports, monthly, and donor reports based on the prescribed template.
- Notify the Project Manager of any problems, complaints, or useful information about all aspects of the education program.
- Work with the M&E Manager and officer to undertake assessments in coordination with partners, Imagine worldwide, Onebillion, where appropriate.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified and/or organized by the Project Manager or Coordinator.
- Follow all IRC policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, The IRC Way, and Child Safeguarding Policy (TZ specific and global), as per the IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism.
- Represent IRC at interagency and coordination meetings, as assigned.
- Assist in control and proper usage of stationary and other items relating to work.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager or Education Coordinator.
- University degree in ICT or ICT and Education from a recognised institution
- A background in education and knowledge of educational technology will be an advantage
- 2 years of proven experience with various distributed ICT Systems and Networks, preferably in a development setting
- Experience working in harsh environments with low bandwidth field technologies.
- Excellent team work and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in facilitation and delivering trainings.
- Demonstrated experience conducting data collection for monitoring and reporting
- Solid writing skills and an understanding of project management cycle and programme management in complex emergencies
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Swahili and French and will be an added asset
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer literacy.
- Must be able to multi-task effectively and balance competing priorities, reporting lines and deadlines.
- Advanced interpersonal skills he/she must be able to relate well with others, dictate responsibilities, offer support and constructive feedback.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills. He/she must be able to adeptly and quickly solve problems as they come up.
- Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY