TITTLE: EXECUTIVE CHEF – with International Experience
LOCATION: GIBBS FARM, KARATU, ARUSHA, TANZANIA
Executive Chef for a five-star lodge that has a 10-acre organic farm, 30 acres of coffee and 20 cottages. Our current Executive Chef will be leaving us early this year and so we will be on the lookout for someone new.
We are looking for someone who is possibly after their first executive chef position, is passionate and driven, can work remote, loves farm to table (we have honey, dairy, pigs and a variety of produce) and can work with our agriculture manager to create daily menus featuring the fresh harvest, is curious about local cuisine and incorporating flavours to suit a mostly US and European, well-travelled, high end clientele.
- The person needs to be hand’s on, able to lead a kitchen brigade of all skill levels as a mentor and teacher.
- With the ability to be patient, showing cultural sensitivity, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
- Must be able to produce a variety of dietary requirements and cuisines.
- Menu planning with a flair, tempered with strict cost control and stock management.
- In depth knowledge OHS practices preferable HACCP.
- Provide direction and support to teams on a daily basis and lead by example.
- Conduct daily operations briefing and pre meal service briefings with direct supervisors.
- Monitoring vacations/accumulated days off planning for the department.
- Ensure Gibbs Farm standards, concepts and vision statements are met or exceed at all times, throughout the property.
- Responsible and accountable for the orders, storage, production, presentation, and distribution of all food items in accordance with the highest standards and quality.
- Responsible and accountable for maintaining the highest food safety and hygiene standards in all preparation, washing and distribution areas.
- Control and analyse on and on-going basis the cleanliness, sanitation, and hygiene as per local food and safety hygiene regulations and introduce or maintain HACCP standards.
- Follow-up with the appropriate departments with regards to maintenance of the kitchen and stewarding facilities
- Work closely with F&B services supervisor to plan, organize, and execute all F&B activities, in professional and profitable manner.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and competition.
- Ensure that the food in the team’s restaurant is of high standard, in terms of quality, choice and rotation of the menus.
- Ensure the customer survey results are as high as possible on a consistent basis, monitor the results, communicate them to the team and use them to identify training needs and business improvement.
- Be aware and provide for customer dietary requirements.
- Constantly strive to increase guest’s satisfaction through quality, creativity, range, and value for money of the food items available throughout the property.
- Work closely with F&B services supervisor to ensure service levels are appropriate and of high levels.
- The ideal Chef will have INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE and worked as a SOUS OR HIGHER FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS IN A FIVE STAR PROPERTY, with a demonstrated stable and progressive career path.
- A tertiary education in professional cookery or food technology from a recognised culinary school will be an advantage.
- Preferably a Tanzanian with international experience
- A competitive salary will be offered.
- Live on position.
- Health insurance
- Annual return flight home for international appointees.
- We will also consider a couple one as Executive Chef and the other Wellness/Spa Manager, Rooms Division Manager, Accountant, or another senior management position, with proven experience.
Gibbs Farm is an equal opportunity employer.
PLEASE SEND YOUR CV ALONG WITH A DETAILED COVERING LETTER, AND REFEREES OF THREE PAST EMPLOYERS VIA EMAIL [email protected]: APPLICATION LETTERS SHOULD REACH THE ABOVE ON OR BEFORE 30TH JANUARY 2021,18HR00.