TITLE: Finance and Operations Manager
LOCATION: Mwanza, Tanzania
REPORTS TO: Country Director, Tanzania
LENGTH: 12 months, with the possibility of extension based on performance and funding availability
Americares is an emergency response and global health organization committed to saving lives and building healthier futures for people in crisis in the United States and around the world. Since it was established in 1979, Americares has delivered more than $12 billion in humanitarian aid to 164 countries, including the United States. Together with its global network of more than 3,500 hospitals, clinics and community health partners, Americares is improving health outcomes for millions of people in need each year.
Under the guidance of the Country Director, the Finance and Operations Manager will support all Americares operations in Tanzania, providing oversight responsibility for financial, logistics, physical inventory, administrative and operations functions. In support of the Country Director, the Finance and Operations Manager will provide management support to staff and partners on financial management, logistics, stores, programs, proposal development, human resources and staff development and administration. In this capacity, the Finance and Operations Manager will ensure efficient, transparent, and reliable finance and operations processes in compliance with Tanzanian legal requirements and Americares HQ financial management and accounting policies and procedures.
The Responsibilities of the Finance and Operations Manager will include, but are not limited to the following:
· Lead all financial management and reporting in the Tanzania office, including supporting the Country Director in maintaining efficient financial controls and budget development, management, and tracking, including donor reporting.
· Monitor and, as necessary, coordinate compliance activities of all country offices to remain abreast of the status of all compliance requirements and to identify trends.
· Manage payroll and ensure Americares is meeting all related legal payroll tax requirements.
· Proactively engage in the budget development, implementation and revision.
· Provide regular financial analysis and prepare fiscal year expenditure pipeline on each project after each period closing in order to give recommendation for the budget holders and to track the approved fiscal year spending.
· Review the fiscal year approved budget spending and advise relevant staff on spending status and ask for feedback on all over or under spending.
· Lead in the preparation of all financial reports and verification for accuracy of documentations.
· Support the program team in preparation of annual and project budgets while also providing sound financial management guidance.
· Ensure that Americares is in compliance with all Tanzanian legal regulations as it applies to financial management at an NGO operating in Tanzania including managing NGO registrations, work permits, visas, insurance issues, etc.
· Oversee the procurement and management of supplies, assets, stock, computers (PCs and laptops), servers and communication.
· Oversee the management and maintenance of Americares vehicles or rental vehicles.
· Oversee the utilities (water, electricity, telephone and internet) in all field offices and ensure prompt payments and solutions management.
· Ensure Americares procurement guidelines are adhered to in all Tanzania offices.
· Actively engage and support the country team in procurement planning to ensure timely delivery of project inputs and activities.
· Plan and engage with program teams to understand contract specification and with suppliers to develop a profile of delivery capability, which results in effective market engagement.
· Maintain accurate auditable records of all procurement processes to result in high compliance.
· Administer contract performance, including delivery, receipt, warranty, damages and insurance.
· Act as the principal responsible for all invitation to bid at the country office.
Information and Communication Technology
· Oversee the management and maintenance of IT and communications technology (laptops, printers, telephone and other means related to Information and Communication Technology).
Human Resource Administration and Policy
· Ensure that the National Staff Human Resources Administration (HRM) policies (HRM instruments and systems) are in place and adhered to.
· Ensure proper HR administration and documentation.
· Ensure that HR administrative policies and practices are in line with the local legislation and keep the management informed of the updates/changes in the local labor and other relevant laws.
· Advise the Country Director and other managers on organizational development and personnel related issues.
· Implement Americares staff performance policies and processes in a timely and complete fashion.
· Build financial management capacity of the project team through trainings, orientations, mentoring and coaching.
· Oversee maintenance and protection of all Americares assets and compile incident reports as necessary.
· Provide direct management and supervision of direct reports as applicable.
· Provide oversight support to program staff as applicable, including, but not limited to, providing spot checks and accountability for inventories.
· Support on proposal development as assigned.
· Oversee sub-award administration to ensure compliance and strong fiscal controls.
· Work with all program staff on integrated management of all projects’ finances to ensure effective use of resources in order to achieve program objectives in compliance with all donor requirements.
· Provide training and/or guidance to program staff on Americares and donor policies, procedures and requirements, donor guidelines, and rules and regulations.
Safety and Security
· Take lead in ensuring that high level staff safety policies and security measures are put in place and adhered to.
General Office Support
· Provide additional support and perform additional duties as requested.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
· University Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration with at least 10 years work experience in finance/accounting/administration/logistics for INGOs.
· Comprehensive computer skills with practical knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel).
· Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
· Ability to produce clear and concise management information reports.
· Proven track record of managing financial and administrative resources of an INGO.
· Ability to work without constant supervision.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills.
· High level of integrity and attention to detail.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, the applicant should please submit the following items in an expression of interest to Americares:
· Curriculum vitae or resume that clearly spell out qualifications and experience
· Cover letter highlighting interest in the position and relevant skills
· Academic credentials