Job at Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) Project Accountant
Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) conserves wildlife and ecosystems focusing on protected areas and outstanding wild places. FZS maintains long-term conservation programmes in Africa, South America, Asia and Europe.
With increasing funds for biodiversity conservation from the development banking sector, we have identified the need to provide additional support to projects in Serengeti, Nyerere National Parks and Selous Game Reserve and Tanzania Country Office (TCO) to meet donor requirements. We are seeking an experienced project accountant to provide backstopping to project teams to ensure that procurement of goods and services adhere to the financial policies laid out by donor requirements.
Position title: Project Accountant
Reports to: Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA)
Start date: Immediately
Position in the organization: Project accountant will report directly to HoFA. The Project Accountant will work closely with the Procurement Officer together with Program Managers to ensure timely delivery of BMZ/KFW grant.
- Full implementation of the FZS Accounting Policy & Procedures, preparation of accounts for sound and accurate management, reporting and auditing;
- Work very closely with our partners to ensure compliance and deliverance of desired outputs;
- Ensure that effective financial management systems are in place, sound control and filling; Ensure strict adherence to the approved budgets;
- Support the Head of Finance in the preparation of financial reports to donor and auditors;
- Ensure: Financial reports are regularly prepared to inform management; donor reports are prepared on time and cash flow is available for project expenses and activities;
- Help project staff in linking Grant Budget to Grant Work-plans, so that the activities to be undertaken in the projects matches with approved budgets;
- Provide regular and timely summaries of funds status to Program Managers.
- Support for procurement procedures; work closely with Procurement Officer to ensure proper approval, filling and documentation as per FZS/donor guidelines.
- Prepare financial statements as required by donors, prepare quarterly and annual financial statements as per project agreement;
- Establish and carry out procedures to monitor and regulate own tasks, activities and responsibilities;
- Provide accounting guidance and support to partners;
- Together with the Procurement Officer and Storekeepers put efficient systems in place to properly monitor and secure the assets of the Project;
- Daily recording of cash, bank payment, imprest and expenses to the system; and
- Undertake other activities assigned by the Country Director or Head of Finance, even if outside the normal duties as per this job description.
Holder of Bachelor of Commerce and Accounting or Finance, Business Management/ Administration or related degree, Certified Public Accountant (CPA T) with Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience
2 year full-time contract based at TCO Arusha with occasional travel to FZS project sites. Candidates should be considering a longer-term commitment.
- Your application should contain a cover letter, your chronological CV as well as qualifying certificates. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Why would you like to work for the advertised position?
- What qualifications and personal qualities make you a good candidate?
- Please send your electronic application documents (as one single pdf) and indicate your salary expectations and the earliest possible starting date to [email protected].
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7th MAY 2021 at 16.00
Competent in the following areas and exhibit these whilst carrying out daily duties:
- Integrity: Maintain high ethical standards, both personally and professionally, show integrity and fairness in dealing with others;
- Initiative: Be proactive and identify tasks which are required;
- Planning and working patterns: Structure one’s work in an orderly and transparent manner, carrying it out with an eye for detail and accuracy. Set goals and priorities in an effective manner, and endeavour to always achieve a high standard of workmanship;
- Teamwork: Co-operate and work well with others in the pursuit of team goals: share information and support others. Contribute effectively towards the organisation’s goals and towards solving problems/conflicts;
- Flexibility: Adaptable, receptive to new ideas, willing and able to adjust to changing demands and circumstances;
- Problem analysis: Point out problems, recognise important information, trace causes of problems.