Management & Programme Liaison Officer
Aga Khan Development Network
The Management & Programme Liaison Officer (MPLO) role was created to support the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) Diplomatic Representative (‘Representative”) and under whose direction the MPLO will work to advance the objectives of the AKDN.
The MPLO’s role in Tanzania will include managing the AKDN office in Dar-es-Salaam, coordinating certain activities of the various countrywide AKDN Agencies, preparing related analysis and reports, as well as liaising with external and internal stakeholders.
The AKDN Office in Dar-es-Salaam (the “Office”) is comprised of the Representative for Tanzania, the MPLO and supporting staff. The MPLO’s duties include:
- Manage all aspects of the financial, operational and administrative functions of the Office in accordance with the policies. Where appropriate, review and update key policies and processes as required
- Oversee the relationships with, and reporting requirements for, the relevant government offices in Tanzania.
- Prepare and manage an annual budget, with monthly cash flow statements and regular reports for the Office.
- Manage logistics and protocol arrangements in relation to events pertaining to the Office. This may also include the organisation of internal meetings and events.
Assessment and Knowledge Management
- Keep abreast of current events and trends in the region and provide analysis and recommendations.
- Prepare briefing materials, and key documentation to support meetings and events that represent the work of the AKDN Agencies in Tanzania or where appropriate the East African Community.
Representation and Relationship Management
- Support the Office in the management and building of key relationships, which may include participation in events, conferences and diplomatic functions.
- Support the Office in the design and implementation of the of the communication strategy of the AKDN’s programme interests to the external audience, as well as key stakeholders and partners.
- Support the Office in the facilitation of internal AKDN inter-agency synergies and collaborative initiatives.
- Coordinate the Office’s key liaisons with the Government as per the MoUs and Protocol.
The ideal candidate should have the following profile:
- A keen appreciation of the objectives and ethical underpinnings of the AKDN including a strong interest in international development and the developing world, along with a high degree of cultural sensitivity
- A preference for an advanced degree or professional qualification. Excellent English communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to write business proposals and prepare presentations. A strong preference for the candidate to speak Kiswahili. For non-Kiswahili speakers, it is expected that the candidate is willing to undergo training to speak the Kiswahili language in the short-medium term.
- Strong project management and financial management skills; including experience with budgets.
- A self-starter, able to work in unstructured situations with minimal supervision. Good judgement and experience of situations involving a degree of sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Strong inter-personal skills and an ability to work effectively at all levels with teams in a supervisory capacity and with a wide range of stakeholders, with a collaborative and collegial style, and the ability to influence through reason and common sense.
- Capable of working in a lean staffing environment with demonstrated ability to work under sustained pressure, manage competing priorities and deliver to tight deadlines.
The position is based in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
About the Agency
The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) is a group of private development agencies working to empower communities and individuals, often in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities, especially in Africa and Asia. The agencies’ mandates range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and the promotion of private-sector enterprise. They collaborate in working towards a common goal ‘ building institutions and programmes that can respond to the challenges of social, economic and cultural change on an ongoing basis. AKDN is today, active in over 30 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America, the Network’s underlying impulse is the ethic of compassion for the vulnerable in society. Its agencies and institutions work for the common good of all citizens, regardless of origin, gender or religion.
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 August 2021.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY