Job Title: Media Coordinator /Editor 1 post
Reporting to: Brand Communications Specialist
Location: Dar es Salaam
The Communications department at Feed the Future Tanzania Advancing Youth supports program’s objectives by telling the AY story to build support for the aims and work of USAID. This entails developing and promoting high-quality content, communicating about AY’s work through traditional, digital, and social media, and engaging a global audience online. Under supervision of the Brand Communications Specialist, the Media Coordinator will work with the project team to implement media strategies, develop relationships with press and thought leaders; form and influence the direction for future media relations. Maintain and leverage media expertise to liaise and collaborate with AY beneficiaries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to communications, brand plan, and editorial calendar development.
- Manage editorial calendar and weekly calendar team meetings, confirm key editorial themes for the month and outline plan to execute, update the calendar and circulate to broader team. Manage weekly check-ins on Content Engine to provide status update on deliverables and assignments.
- Identify content and plan for collecting it in response to timely requests from media/ reporters.
- Assist AY in garnering media attention by pitching stories about AY’s activities to national and international media.
- Maintain AY press lists.
- Support media relations, including tracking media hits.
- Support maintaining the media database/system, as assigned.
- Follow key reporters on social media (Twitter) and track trend
- Work closely with Communications Manager especially on media outreach and donor related events.
- Monitor and analyze trends in the media
- Manage press events in coordination with the Social Media Specialist.
- Coordinate with consultants and vendors, as assigned.
- Support planning and producing in-person and virtual events.
- Potentially support digital content creation, including writing stories and producing video or infographics.
- Adhere to deadlines and quick turnaround times for rapid response, as needed, while prioritizing and working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Assist with other special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Contribute to writing projects such as proposals, blog posts, and reports, including editing.
- Correspond proactively and professionally with partners, donors, or other stakeholders, including follow-up on project activities and deliverables.
- Provide ongoing administrative support such as scheduling calls, organizing meetings, and taking notes.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and work both independently and on teams.
- Initiate and organize own work while working productively as a liaison across teams at AY.
- Establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality; produce pieces in a timely manner.
- English language ability requires fluency in spoken English and exceptional written competency.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications
- At least 3 years of experience in administrative and/or communications support, preferably with an international development or social research organization.
- Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on influencing and persuading others.
- Demonstrated experience pitching stories to key reporters and maintaining these relationships.
- Exceptional organizational and teamwork skills.
- Conceptual, writing, and analytical skills; extensive ability to write and speak persuasively to set AY apart.
- Thinks outside the box to help AY “stand out”.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of and experience using social media and other online knowledge management and dissemination platforms
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and ask the right questions to the right people
- Creative team player
Written and oral fluency in English and Swahili is required
HOW TO APPLY
DAI is an equal opportunity employer; the position is open to all candidates. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, and cover letter explaining how their experience will contribute to the requirements of the position. The applicant should also provide valid and reachable references. The CV, Cover Letter, and list of references should be sent to [email protected] on or before September 17th, 2021. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.