Education M&E Officer
Requisition ID: req12094
Job Title: Education M&E Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been providing education services for Congolese and Burundian girls and boys in the Nyarugusu Refugee Camp since January 2014 and extended education services to Mtendeli refugee camp in March 2016. Services cover the full education spectrum from pre-school, through primary and secondary school, Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), and tertiary education applications. Schools follow the country of origin national curriculum (Burundian and Congolese).
The IRC is the consortium lead for the DIFD project which is being delivered in partnership with Caritas and Plan International. The one-year project is designed to increase access to quality education for children in Nyarugusu, Mtendeli, and Nduta refugee camps.
Scope of work:
The IRC is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Education M&E Officer to carry out M&E activities for the UNHCR Education project in Kibondo and Kasulu / Mtendeli& Nyarugusu Refugee Camp. Working under the guidance of the Education M&E Manager, the post holder will be responsible for direct planning and implementation of their activities, leading the enrolment at a camp level, generating report, sharing data with the education to inform programming as well as reviewing monthly reports with focus on current and correct data. She will also be responsible to respond on data request by education officers/Managers upon request, participate on trainings and capture pre- and post-test data for reporting and determination of activity impact. The Education M&E Officer will work with a team of M&E officers to ensure all M&E activities are carried out in a timely manner. The Education M&E Officer support the refugee incentive Education Community Outreach workers, Head teachers, inspectors and Coordinators; supporting them in managing their time and activities effectively and building their capacity, where possible. The Education M&E Officer will represent the IRC education team in relevant camp-based stakeholder meetings. This post holder will facilitate collaboration and working closely with other M&E staff and program staff within IRC in creating and maintaining a robust M&E system of the Tanzania country programs.
This position will report to the Education M&E Manager and work in close collaboration with DFID Education Manager and is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding.
Responsibility for Education M&E Officer
- Under guidance of the Education M&E Manager, support preparation and implementation of baseline, midline, end-line assessments, including tool development and identification of gaps.
- The Education M&E Officer, shall support the education programme team to realise their quality data and reporting, including reminding them on what has been planned but not implemented as per the work plan and Logframe indicators.
- Conduct regular school monitoring visits for data verification and ensure all real time data is correctly collected using the appropriate tools.
- Ensure that all data collected in schools is in line with quality standards for education program
- Work closely with head teachers, school inspectors, Incentive Coordinators and education officers to ensure that the correct monitoring tools are being used.
- Ensure quality standards and processes for data and information generated from the Education program are met.
- To make sure that any data collected is analysed and feedback given for improved programming or school management
- Ensure that key indicators are tracked across the programmes/ projects and camps and consolidated on a monthly basis and report shared to programme staff.
- Contribute to submission of high quality reports as needed by reviewing data shared in the reports by programme Officers.
- Ensure client feedback is regularly captured and documented in the feedback logbook and other established mechanisms.
- Work closely with Education M&E Manager in strengthening the IRC Tanzania country programme M&E system and roll out comprehensive M&E plans, aligned to IRC’s Monitoring for Action (MfA) framework, with corresponding data collection and analysis tools aligned with agreed work plans, the log frame, and performance indicators.
- Follow and abide to the reporting calendar and ensure timely submission of IRC and donor reports and indicators data.
- Plan and deliver programme staff capacity building activites as per the gaps/ need established.
- Report any violations of IRC’s three core values (Integrity, Service and Accountability) as per IRC WAY reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members.
- Participate in design of data collection tools
- Conduct regular data quality checks, suggest improvements where necessary.
- Conduct data analysis to inform programme implementation and to contribute to wider organizational activity trends.
- Ensure proper management and storage of data.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information used during data entry.
- Work with Education M&E Officers to ensure that the education database is kept up to date at all times.
- Conduct regular data verification exercises.
- Support implementation of annual student enrolment programmes, including data verification and entry.
- Respond to data queries from programme staff, IPs and general stakeholders.
Representation and Partnership
- Support coordination and participation in monthly Camp Based Education Working Group meetings, providing minutes to the regional Education Working Group.
- Ensure all education projects are integrated and coordinated with other IRC sectors.
- Participate in programme review meetings, providing appropriate data.
- Participate in Joint activites like monitoring , reviews, study, evaluations, assessments and others with other partners, stakeholders and donors
- Bachelor Degree in social sciences, statistics, Project Management and evaluations or other related fields, or any degree but with a post graduate diploma or advanced diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation or Project Management from a recognized and accredited University
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Monitoring and Evaluation from International NGOs or a Humanitarian organisation.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- A commitment to IRC’s mission and humanitarian principles.
- Receptive to building and maintaining positive relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures and viewpoints.
- Experience working with refugee communities desirable.
- Knowledge of Education M&E, in particular Education Management Information Systems.
- Experience working with children, preferably facilitating age appropriate focus group discussions and/or interviews.
- Experience in planning and delivering training.
- Experience in development of age appropriate data collection tools is a plus.
- Understanding of data analysis (SPSS or similar).
- Experience in community mobilisation and coordination.
- Highly collaborative and consultative approach.
- Good IT skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required
- Swahili and good English written and oral skills required. French and Kirundi a plus.
- Qualified women and people with disability are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application through our recruitment portal before 10th February 2021.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY