The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for coordinating the development of human resources and research in the EAC Higher Education Institutions. The main objectives of IUCEA are to (i) facilitate networking among universities in East Africa, and with universities outside the region; (ii) provide a forum for discussion on a wide range of academic and other matters relating to higher education in East Africa; and (iii) facilitate maintenance of internationally comparable education standards in East Africa so as to promote the region’s global competitiveness in higher education.
In order to fulfill its current mandate and to meet all its objectives, IUCEA now wishes to recruit a qualified person for the position of Chief Principal Exchange, Links and Partnerships:
Online applications are invited from qualified individuals from the EAC Partner States. Candidates from South Sudan are encouraged to apply. The recruitment will be subjected to the EAC Quota System.
Description of the Positions
CHIEF PRINCIPAL EXCHANGE, LINKS AND PARTNERSHIPS (P4)
Office: Deputy Executive Secretary – Higher Education and Research Support Systems
Unit: Exchange, Links and Partnerships
Job Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Higher Education and Research Support Systems)
Job Supervises: Senior Exchange Programs Officer; Senior Links and Partnerships Officer
Job Purpose: The job holder will provide strategic leadership in development of intra- and inter-institutional links and partnerships, and between higher education institutions and industry and other institutions in the world.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating cooperation among higher education institutions in the Community and with foreign institutions having similar objectives
- Managing of the Staff Mobility programme involving academic staff visiting universities in different EAC Partner States to provide services: teaching, research, community engagement and external examination
- Facilitating the development of academia-private-public partnership framework
- Facilitating the development of regional programmes to enhance teaching, research and services to the community
- Monitoring and evaluating implementation of programmes and projects
- Coordinating the development of strategies for adequate investment in higher education in East Africa
- Supporting Partnerships IUCEA in establishing relationships at the highest level with recognized institution with similar objectives to develop strategic partnerships and alliances
- Mobilizing funds from local and international sources to support higher education and research programmes and projects in the Community
- Promoting and supporting staff and student exchange programmes regionally to promote regional integration and internationally to strengthen internationalization of higher education
- Promoting gender balance and mainstreaming in higher education institutions in the Community
- Guiding and coordinating universities and higher education stakeholders on implementation and improvements of instruments for enhanced enrolment and mobility of students through effective Fees Structures Systems, such as the current Fees Structure Model for EAC Higher Education, currently being disseminated
- Establishing awards to students, academic units, and individuals for outstanding contributions to education, research or public service
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
Key Performance Indicators
- Number of operational MoUs or agreements established
- Number of programmes and projects developed and funded
- Framework for academia/industry collaboration in place
- Rate of expansion of higher education in the region
- Number of staff and students participating in exchange programmes, regionally and internationally
Minimum Job Requirements
- Have a Minimum of a PhD from a recognized institution
(b) Work Experience
- Have at least 10 years’ experience in managing staff and students exchange projects or teaching and research at least at the rank of Senior Lecturer or equivalent in a recognized higher education institution, 3 years at senior management level
(c) Key Competencies
- Must have sound knowledge in projects and programmes development and inter- and intra- institutional cooperation
- Computer literate
- Must have experience in academia-private sector partnership
- Have sound knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of academic programmes
- Have clear understanding of the basic mission of higher education institutions
- Be conversant with academic programs in higher education and the multiple challenges and global pressures facing them
- Have good interpersonal, communication and soft skills
- Have sound computer knowledge and skills
3.0 Tenure and Remuneration
As per the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations, the successful applicant for this post shall serve for a five year term renewable once. A comprehensive remuneration package commensurate with the EAC Professional Job Grades and Diplomatic status shall be offered to the suitable candidate. Additional details on these packages may be obtained from the undersigned.
4.0 Age Limit
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as the EAC retirement age is 60 years.
The successful candidate shall be notified of his/her appointment by the 2nd week of December, 2021 to give him/her enough time to also give notice to his/her employer.
6.0 Submission of Applications
The deadline for submission of application forms to the IUCEA Secretariat is 20th September, 2021. Application forms should be filled online accompanied with the following:
- Certified copies of the applicant’s degree awards
- Up to date and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Addresses of three referees, one of which should be of the current immediate supervisor.
- Any other relevant supporting documents
- Complete the online form on this link https://bit.ly/3k5GXn6 and submit application documents electronically to the following address marked as “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF CHIEF PRINCIPAL EXCHANGE LINKS AND PARTNERSHIPS”
The Executive Secretary
Inter-University Council for East Africa
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 256 251/2
E-mail: [email protected]
Because of Covid 19 pandemic, IUCEA will not accept hand delivered applications. Applicants must complete application forms as indicated above.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY