Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for a Program Manager, Tanzania to join our team. The overall purpose of the role is to devise, plan and implement local strategies to achieve the vision and goals of Smile Train. This colleague will ensure that Smile Train offers high-quality and safe cleft lip and palate care by establishing and effectively managing programs and partnerships across Tanzania.
The incoming Program Manager will report to the Program Director, East Africa. Significant travel is expected (approximately 70%). Ideal candidates are fully fluent in English and Kiswahili.
This is a full-time opportunity based in Dar es Salaam, Dodoma, Mwanza or Arusha starting on or around September 1, 2021.
- Establish and manage Smile Train partnerships and grant recipients for their administrative needs to ensure that programs are aligned with Smile Train’s overall goals, mission, priorities and policies.
- Work closely with existing and new partners to accelerate the number of sponsored cleft surgeries and comprehensive cleft care whilst maintaining the safety and quality protocols mandated by the Medical Advisory Board/Council
- Develop and implement an annual budget and long-term and short-term action plans to reach as many cleft-affected children as possible with cleft treatment, as quickly as possible, in the most cost-effective manner, whilst maintaining high standards of safety and quality. Submit the budget for regional review and, once finalized, implement the same in the best possible manner.
- Within the framework of the approved budget, draw up operational plans with measurable targets, specific checkpoints, and clear financial commitments.
- Plan and actualize trainings for medical professionals involved in cleft care in the country.
- Institute suitable business processes and necessary control mechanisms for the continual monitoring of financial, programmatic, and medical targets
- Receive, review, and analyse all grant requests from local stakeholders and carry out “due diligence” as required.
- Ensure all operations are legally and financially transparent and in compliance with all local laws and laws of the U.S. that apply to local business practices.
- Lead efforts to share Smile Train’s global messaging locally and help to build the brand and awareness of Smile Train programs in the country.
- Capture and share stories, images, and videos that help to tell Smile Train’s story and that could be used across the organization to further Smile Train’s mission
- Build and nurture the ‘Smile Train’ brand, developing an image of a focused, committed, ethical and caring organization upholding and furthering ‘best practices’ in cleft care, to this end, develop and maintain effective communications with all key external constituencies, e.g medical professionals, social and voluntary organizations, government functionaries, media, patients/guardians.
- Implement Smile Train national and global initiatives within the assigned area.
- Be the local representative and spokesperson for Smile Train, and the ‘eyes and ears’ in the country. Speak up, when and where necessary, about the organization’s aims, values, and practices; keep track of cleft-related issues and developments and share this feedback internally and with partners.
- Ensure safety of patients and quality of cleft surgeries is 100% through regular safety reviews of our partner hospitals and trainings.
- Keep the Program Director continually informed through periodic reports on major developments, key issues, and progress against agreed goals.
- Sound professional qualifications – including a degree in Medicine, Public Health, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or Accounting
- An MBA or MPH from a reputed School will be an added advantage.
- Thorough familiarity with the languages and cultures of Tanzania and professional fluency in English and Kiswahili are essential.
- 3-5 years related work experience in a management position in a large multinational or national for-profit or not-for-profit organization with significant project management experience.
- Ability to work with a global team, exhibiting cultural sensitivity, a commitment to Smile Train’s mission, strong time management skills, and capacity to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Smile Train is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
- To apply, please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
- The application process closes on 31st July 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis therefore we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY