Associate Software Engineer
VACANCIES AT THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS UNION (ITU) IN GENEVA
The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA), is quasi-independent Government body established under the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Act No. 12 of 2003 to regulate the electronic communications, and Postal services, and management of the national frequency spectrum in the United Republic of Tanzania.
TCRA is a member of International Telecommunications Union (ITU) which is a specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs) on behalf of the United Republic of Tanzania.
TCRA wishes to inform the public on the availability of vacant positions at ITU as shown below: –
The Radiocommunication Bureau (BR) is responsible for the application of the Radio Regulations and for technical and administrative support of ITU World and Regional Radiocommunication Conferences, Radiocommunication Assemblies and Study Groups. The Bureau also carries out the international regulatory processes for registration of frequency assignments and satellite orbits and assists administrations in their coordination and implementation of frequency spectrum and orbit requirements as well as in resolving cases of harmful interference. It provides the specialised technical secretariat for the work of the Radiocommunication Study Groups and the Radiocommunication Assembly in the development of recommendations for spectrum utilisation and radio system characteristics. The BR is organised into four Departments: Space Services Department, Terrestrial Services Department, Informatics, Administration and Publications Department and the Study Groups Department.
- The Informatics, Administration and Publications Department (IAP) comprises of three Divisions: Space Applications Software (SAS), Terrestrial Applications Software (TAS) and Administration (ADM). The Department is responsible for the development and maintenance of software and related tools used by the BR as well as software adapted for national frequency management units, providing the necessary user support for the areas concerned. It carries out studies related to policies for the technologies to be used for the information and computational systems within the BR and with administrations in the fields of management of the radio frequency spectrum and the various satellite orbits. The Department is responsible for BR text editing and publications, as well as promotion and membership. The Department is also responsible for human resources management for the BR, including the preparation of the operational plans, as well as provides organisational support for conferences and meetings.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Head, Space Applications Software Division (SAS), the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Develops and maintains web applications and/or desktop software applications to support the processing of Space Services notifications.
- Participates in all the steps of the software development cycle, in close collaboration with other SAS team members.
- Analyses user requirements and provides proposals.
- Designs, implements, tests and deploys software applications.
- Troubleshoots and prepares documentation for software applications.
- Provides technical guidance to staff members on relevant software.
- Participates in meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Innovation and Facilitating Change, and; Planning and Organizing.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Good knowledge of object-oriented software development and/or web application development. Ability to use ASP.NET MVC or migrating legacy applications to modern technologies.
University degree in computer science or engineering or a related field (science/materials science engineering, electrical/electronic engineering), OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in software development. An advanced degree in a related field can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience. A doctorate in related fields can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 47,895 + post adjustment $ 37,598
Interested qualified Tanzanians are invited to apply online through the following ITU link: http://www.itu.int/employment/Recruitment/index.html .
Applications from women are highly encouraged.
ITU is an equal opportunity employer.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Deadline for application: 23 August, 2020
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority,
20 Sam Nujoma Road,
P.O Box 474,
14414, DAR ES SALAAM.
Email: [email protected]