Senior Liaison Officer
VACANCIES AT THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS UNION (ITU) IN GENEVA
The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA), is quasi-independent Government body established under the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Act No. 12 of 2003 to regulate the electronic communications, and Postal services, and management of the national frequency spectrum in the United Republic of Tanzania.
TCRA is a member of International Telecommunications Union (ITU) which is a specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs) on behalf of the United Republic of Tanzania.
TCRA wishes to inform the public on the availability of vacant positions at ITU as shown below: –
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
Partnerships for Digital Development Department
Digital Networks & Society Department
Digital Knowledge Hub Department
- The office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department is responsible for advising and supporting the Director on the direction and management of the Bureau. It is also responsible for leading all matters related to personnel, strategic, financial and operational planning and reporting processes.
- The department oversees the work of the Regional Offices, ensuring proper delegation of authority and accountability of the Regional Offices.
- This department coordinates the holding of BDT conferences and events, monitors the implementation of decisions emanating from the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), the Telecommunication Development Advisory Group (TDAG) or Council, and cooperates closely with the other Sectors of the Union and the General Secretariat on matters of relevance to BDT and the overall work of the Union. BDT Regional Directors report to this department.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Deputy to the Director and Chief of Field Operations Coordination Department and in cooperation with the Head of the ITU Liaison Office in New York, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Act as a liaison for the ITU’s development work to the United Nations in New-York; closely monitor trends in the UN Development System Group (UNSDG) to keep the BDT Director and ITU Senior management informed of decisions influencing ITU; and ensure all ITU Regional and Area offices are kept aware of all trends, recent decisions and trending news within the UNSDG system.
- Support the Director and ITU Heads of Regional Offices and Area offices in direct engagement with other United Nations agencies regarding joint contributions to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and all other protocols and Decisions relating to ICTs for Development, with a special focus on ITU Council, WTDC and PP Decisions and Resolutions.
- Undertake substantial follow-up on the status of ITU’s achievement of goals, targets, and indicators of relevant Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); provide coordination and liaison support to UNSDG system processes. This will include attendance of, and preparing reports for, meetings of relevant UN bodies, as required.
- Maintain close liaison with other ITU Bureaus and Elected officials to ensure that they are kept informed of any UNSDG activities or Decisions, which could affect ITU and the other Bureaus.
- Coordinate, in collaboration with the Head of New York Office, with the United Nations, the ITU New York Liaison Office and other relevant New York-based United Nations agencies in the development of strategies relating to sustainable development.
- Prepare internal ITU reports and provide written and oral briefings.
- Promote the work of ITU’s development work and encourage missions of, in particular, LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS to attend ITU events at the UN in New York; contribute to communications, including social media on ITU’s work in LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS arising out of activities taking place at the UN in New York; ensure the follow-up and the reporting on relevant UN General Assembly resolutions of interest to BDT; and support the organization of side events, briefing sessions and/or speakers at the UN on BDT’s work, including for LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS under the direction of the Deputy to the Director and in cooperation with the Head of the ITU Liaison Office in New York.
- Liaise and collaborate with UN Office of the High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (OHRLLS) in relation to ITU-D’s work and engagement with Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States.
- Represent the BDT at meetings and conferences; participate in workshops and briefings concerning ICTs and sustainable development; prepare inputs and contributions to CWG, TDAG Council and the PP Conference reports relating to the UNSDG; review proposals prepared by ITU Membership; coordinate inputs from other Bureaus as needed.
- Draft inputs to ITU contributions to relevant UN Secretary-General and other UN reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision-Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Demonstrated understanding of ICT and sustainable development trends. Expert knowledge of RBB and RMB systems and concepts, including KPIs and dashboard reporting. Knowledge of international organizations.
- Advanced university degree in business, economics, international relations, marketing, political science, or related field, OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with ten years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in ICT and/or sustainable environment, including three years at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.Annual salary from $ 73,516 + post adjustment $ 51,682
Interested qualified Tanzanians are invited to apply online through the following ITU link: http://www.itu.int/employment/Recruitment/index.html .
Applications from women are highly encouraged.
ITU is an equal opportunity employer.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Deadline for application: 19 August, 2020
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority,
20 Sam Nujoma Road,
P.O Box 474,
14414, DAR ES SALAAM.
Email: [email protected]