Senior Technical Advisor Job At IntraHealth International Tanzania 2020
Position: Senior Technical Advisor – Health Workforce Capacity Building
Locations: Dar es Salaam, DAR, TZA
April 14, 2020
Why join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence. Join us. The future of global health starts here.
Job Description Senior Technical Advisor Job
IntraHealth seeks a Senior Technical Advisor -Health Workforce Capacity Building (STA-HWCB) for the CDC “Tanzania Global Health Security (GHS) Partner Engagement: Advancing Efforts and Strategies to Protect and Improve Public Health” funding opportunity.
The Tanzania GHS Partner Engagement project will support the implementation of programs and activities that further the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) through partnership with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) to achieve goals in three strategic areas: prevent avoidable epidemics; detect threats early; and respond rapidly and effectively to potential events of concern for public health and health security.
The STA-HWCB will lead the project’s work in supporting the MOHCDGEC to establish a competent, occupationally diverse, multisectoral workforce for health security. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This position is contingent upon award and approval by CDC.
Essential Functions Senior Technical Advisor Job
- Strengthen planning capacity of HR-focused arms of MOHCDGEC and PORALG to develop/improve human resources for health policy and strategies that quantify health workforce needs, demands and supply under varied future scenarios
- Building on the national One Health platform, engage the human, animal and environmental health sector workforce and other stakeholders to expand the multisectoral public health workforce strategy to include IHR (2005) capacity needs, such as public health training programs, human resource infrastructure, existing and required professional staffing levels, administrative support and funding requirements
- Document the need for applied epidemiology competencies by reviewing the educational system, public health training programs, workforce gaps and stakeholder interests
- Assist MOHCDGEC, PORALG, other key ministries, academia and research institutions to implement the multisectoral health workforce strategic plan consistently at the national, regional and local levels, with regular reviews to track progress and barriers, and at least annual updates
- Working with the national One Health Coordination Desk in the PMO, support human resources for health coordination efforts in the human and animal health sectors for monitoring policies and plans to increase the multisector animal and human health workforce, and promoting the recruitment and retention of qualified multidisciplinary staff
- Provide technical assistance to MOHCDGEC in coordinating the development of protocols, SOPs, technical guidelines to ensure regular review and updating of the multisectoral One Health workforce strategy with final approval from other relevant sectors or other relevant government agencies
- Support activities to monitor and evaluate the implementation of the national multisectoral One Health workforce strategy to track progress and barriers
- Work with national and subnational counterparts to develop a database of in-country multidisciplinary subject matter experts relevant to IHR (2005)
- Build capacity of the PMO/DMD, MOHCDGEC, NIMR, PORALG and other counterparts to plan and implement at national and subnational levels short in-service trainings on surveillance, outbreak preparedness, response, incident command system and risk communication for specific cadres
- Working with relevant health professional councils and academic/training institutes, support development and implementation of a continuing professional education program that includes outbreak preparedness and control for professional cadres, such as public health officers, surveillance officers, nurses, midwives, general medical practitioners, veterinarians, or para-veterinarians
Education/Experience Requirements Senior Technical Advisor Job
- Minimum of graduate degree in health systems; public health; animal or environmental health; laboratory science; human resources for health; public planning or related discipline
- At least 8 years of experience in a technical support/advisor role in a relevant field.
- In-depth knowledge of workforce strengthening and human resources content areas such as HR planning, recruitment and retention
- Demonstrated knowledge of health workforce data sources; experience with human resource information systems (HRIS) and workforce planning tools preferred
- Direct experience working with the Global Health Security Agenda and/or International Health Regulations (2005) preferred
- Proven ability to provide leadership to achieve technical goals on a complex project, preferably USG-funded
- Demonstrated experience developing work plans and budgets and delivering results on time and within budget
- Demonstrated diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a complex and changing environment with all levels of stakeholders
- Oral and written fluency in Kiswahili
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills with experience in report writing and presentations to large and diverse stakeholders
- Computer literacy in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Willingness to travel up to 35% within the country and internationally on occasion.
Summary of Benefits Senior Technical Advisor Job
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment.
This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1